What is MAC address?
A media access control address (MAC address) is a unique identification assigned to a device network interface controller (NIC) for communication at the data link layer of a network segment. In simple words, this is a unique identification for a device or computer in a network for communication.
You can get more details from here
Use of MAC in excel:
This address my have different usage technically but in Excel,
- You can use this id to restrict the use of a particular file in a particular system.
- This can also be used to generate the activation key for the excel software to use in a particular system.
You can comment and share with others if you have any other use of MAC .
How to get MAC address in excel VBA?
The MAC address of a windows system can be generated using following visual basic code in excel.
This code will generate MAC and display in a message box.
VBA Code for MAC address:
Sub Mac_ID() Dim strCom As String Dim objWMIService As Object Dim colAdapters As Object Dim objAdapter As Object strCom = "." Set objWMIService = GetObject _ ("winmgmts:" & "!\\" & strCom & "\root\cimv2") Set colAdapters = objWMIService.ExecQuery _ ("Select * from Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration Where IPEnabled = True") For Each objAdapter In colAdapters MsgBox "MAC ID of this system : " & objAdapter.MACAddress Next objAdapter End Sub
Download Sample excel file to generate MAC ID:
- Copy and paste the above code in VBA code editor
- save file in .xlsm format
- enable macros to execute the VBA code