FLOOR function in excel is a Math/Trig function. It is a worksheet function. It rounds down the given number to the nearest multiple , towards zero. For example, number 1.5 is rounded down by significance 1 to the nearest integer towards zero by formula =FLOOR(1.5,1) which gives 1 as the result. FLOOR function is same as MROUND function except it always rounds down.
- Number- The number or cell containing the number that is to be rounded off.
- Significance- It is the multiple to which you can round down the number.
- If the provided number is a multiple of significance argument, it is not rounded down.
- FLOOR function is same as MROUND function except it always rounds down.
- If argument is non numeric, #VALUE! error is displayed.
- If sign of significance argument and number is opposite, #NUM! error is displayed.
- If number is less than zero than the number is rounded down away from zero.
- If number is greater than zero than the number is rounded down toward zero.
In the following example, a table of numbers is given, it is rounded down using FLOOR function. Positive numbers are rounded towards zero while negative integers are rounded away from zero.
If you want to round down some numbers to the nearest multiple of 5, you can use FLOOR function.