WEEKDAY function in Excel is a type of DATE/TIME function. This function converts a date into a number from 1 to 7 which represents day of the week. For example, 1 represents Sunday and 2 represents Monday and 7 represents Saturday. This function can also be used with other functions for inserting the day of the week.
- Serial_Number: It is the date for which day of the week needs to be found.
- Return_Type: It is the number which represents week mapping scheme. Its default value is 1
- In General formatting of Excel, Dates are in form of serial numbers. Serial number 1 is for 1 JAN, 1900 and the number increases from thereon. For getting it in readable form use the formatting tab.
- The argument used must represent a valid date in Excel format.
- If the arguments used have number values which are out of range of valid excel date, #NUM error is displayed
- If the arguments used have strings which cannot be converted into valid dates, #VALUE error is displayed.
|Return type||Numeric result||Day mapping|
In this example, dates are given in column A and WEEKDAY function is used to retrieve day of the week in column B for the corresponding date: