CLEAN in excel is a text/string function. This function retrieves code from first character of a string. It retrieves Macintosh code for Mac system and ANSI system for Windows system. For example, =CODE(“B”) gives 66 as the value for Windows operating system.
- Text: It is the text whose first character will be used and whose code will be retrieved.
- This function was added in Excel 2000 and is available in later versions also.
- If text argument is left blank than #VALUE error is displayed.
- Its result comes in form of number.
- This function is completely opposite to CHAR function.
- CHAR function gives character value of a given code whereas CODE function gives code of a given character value.
In this example, CODE function is used to find codes of characters entered in column A and enters result in column B:
- =CODE(“D”) gives 68 as the result, similarly other examples are below: