CHOOSE function in excel is a lookup function. It is to retrieve a value from a table of values. It can retrieve up to 251 values from a list based on an index number. For example, if 1 to 12 represents number of months in a year then CHOOSE retrieves a month whose value is entered in the index number.
- Index_num- It is the value argument to be selected. Must be a number between 1 and 254 or a reference having numbers between 1 and 254.
- Value1, value2,…. These are subsequent values from which CHOOSE select value according to the index_num supplied. Value1 is required,other values are optional.
- Total 254 values can be selected by CHOOSE function.
- A reference value can also be used.
- If a value less than one or greater than the maximum value present in the table is used in index_num, #VALUE! error is displayed.
- If a fraction value is used, it is reduced to the lowest integer.
- Num_index can also be an array .
In the following example, a list of websites is written in Column A, CHOOSE function is used to retrieve a value from A4 cell using the formula =CHOOSE(1,A4,A5,A6,A7)
You have to define index number, this can be a value or cell reference.
The list of values are to be defined, this can be value or cell reference.
The formula will get the result as below: