CHAR in excel is a text/string function. CHAR function is used to return a character defined by a number. In windows operating system ANSI/ASCII/Unicode character set is used. This function can be used to define characters which are complex in nature. For example =CHAR(36) returns $ character because it 36 represents $ character in windows character system.
- Number: It is a value lying from 1 to 255.
- Excel online only used Character set (9, 10, 32) and above.
- ANSI character set: It is the fundamental character set available in Windows systems in Windows 95 and NT, following these systems ASCII/Unicode system is used.
- For Mac systems there is a separate Macintosh character set.
- You can use the following links as reference to find the numbers and their corresponding characters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252 – For Windows systems
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_Roman – For Mac systems
In this example, following CHAR function is used to retrieve following characters in windows operating system:
=CHAR(34) corresponds to ” character.
=CHAR(36) corresponds to $ character.
=CHAR(65) corresponds to uppercase A letter.
=CHAR(169) corresponds to © character.