Ceiling function in excel is a Math/Trig function. It is a worksheet function. It rounds up the given function to a defined multiple. For example, number 1.5 is rounded up to nearest multiple of 1 by formula =CEILING(1.5,1) which gives 2 as the result. Ceiling function is same as MROUND function except it always rounds up.
- Number- The number or cell containing the number that is to be rounded off.
- Multiple- It is the multiple to which you can round up the number
- If the provided number is a multiple of significance argument, it is not rounded up.
- Ceiling function is same as MROUND function except it always rounds up.
- If argument is non numeric, #VALUE! error is displayed.
If sign of significance argument and number is opposite, #NUM! error is displayed
In the following example, a table of numbers is given, it is rounded up using CEILING function.
In the following example, number of items and their bundle size is given; we use CEILING function to find how many bundles are needed.