MONTH function in Excel is a type of DATE/TIME function. It used to obtain find month of a specified date. It returns a serial number in integer form (1 for Jan. up to 12 for Dec). It can be used to supply month into a cell or used with functions like DATE function as a feeder.
=MONTH( Date )
- Date:- A date in a valid excel format. Can be entered using DATE function, If dates in form of text are entered then there is a possibility of getting an error.
- In General formatting of Excel, Dates are in form of serial numbers. Serial number 1 is for 1 JAN, 1900 and the number increases from thereon. For getting it in readable form use the formatting function.
- A valid Excel date must be used.
- For text values #VALUE error is displayed.
|2018 September 9th|
1.In this example we used the following dates:
At B7, an invalid format is used so we used DATE and MONTH function together.
2. In this example, MONTH and DATEVALUE functions are used together to convert month names into serial numbers.