INT function in excel is a Math/Trig function. It is a worksheet function. It rounds down the given decimal number to the nearest integer part. For example, number 2.8 is rounded down to the nearest integer by using the formula =INT(2.8) which gives 2 as the result.
- Number- The number or cell containing the number that is to be rounded off.
- If argument is non numeric, #VALUE! error is displayed.
- Numbers with negative sign are rounded away from zero. For example, ‘-2.8’ is rounded to ‘-3’.
- If the number to be rounded down is an integer then no rounding occurs.
- If exact integer part of a decimal number, whether positive or negative is needed than we use TRUNC function
In the following example, a table of numbers is given, it is rounded down to the nearest INT integer using INT function.
- For the negative integers , INT function rounds away from zero as shown in the following example: