EOMONTH function in Excel is a type of DATE/TIME function. It used to obtain last date of a month. This date can be of the present month or a month in past and future. It returns a serial number which can be formatted into a readable form. It can be used to calculate due dates falling on last date of a month. It can also be used with EDATE function.
=EOMONTH( Start_Date, Months )
- Start_Date:- A date in a valid excel format. Can be entered using DATE function, If dates in form of text are entered then there is a possibility of getting an error.
- Months:- Total months in past and future. For past use negative value, for future use a positive value.
- In General formatting of Excel, Dates are in form of serial numbers. Serial number 1 is for 1 JAN, 1900 and the number increases from thereon. For getting it in readable form use the formatting function.
- If the starting date entered is in invalid format it returns #NUM! error.
- If months and starting date results into an invalid date it returns #Num! error.
- For months in future a positive value is used and for the months in past a negative value is used.
In the following example, EOMONTH returns a date in form of a serial number as shown in column C. It is then formatted into a valid format in column D.