COUNTBLANK function in excel is a statistical function. This function is used to count empty cells and cells containing text values, numbers, logical values etc. are not used in counting. This is a worksheet function and can be entered into the cell in which COUNTBLANK is required.
Range: It is the range of cells from which blank cells will be counted.
- COUNTBLANK function can use up to 255 additional values.
- Text values, logical values, empty cells are not used for counting and omitted.
- If one wants to count text values and logical values, use COUNTA function.
- COUNTIF and COUNTIFS function are used if one wants to use certain criteria for counting.
- Use COUNT function if only numbers are to be counted.
In this example, various values are entered in Column A and Column B, and COUNTBLANK function is used to count values of Column A and column B using the formula =COUNTBLANK(A4:B9) which gives 4 as the result.